Thursday, February 18, 2010

Bothy Weekend

With all the fat Scottish skiing conditions* we've been having, we decided to ski into a backcountry bothy for the weekend.

Tom's from Australia, so he was thrilled with all the snow.


And the skis are on! Why wouldn't they be?



Heather is part of the snow here. Rocks and wood are the only things your really need to avoid.

Bob Scott's bothy.


Heading to the hills for some more skiing.

Snow!

Rocky summit.

Despite this trip looking rather barren in the snow department, I had a really great time skiing. The snow was nice and soft and it turns out dodging rocks and logs is really very fun. I think I'm getting the hang of this Scottish skiing business.

*It may sound like I'm joking about this being fat Scottish conditions, but I'm not. This really has been a big snow year over here and Glenshee, the nearby ski hill has been packed.

3 comments:

Nature Nerd said...

Oh and check out the SAIS blog to see what James has been doing for "work": http://saisscairngorms.blogspot.com/

Ryan said...

My god that's desperate! Good on ya for gettin' out though.

grannypoppy said...

I learned to ski in Scotland .... in an old Nissan(sp?) hut in Dundee. I think it was owned by Cairdsports and we had lessons there .... on a bristle slope that was about 30 feet long! When we eventually got out to the hills ... Aviemore or Glenshee .... there was NEVER any snow!I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I had my first REAL skiing trip to Mount Baker!

Glenn and I are far from winter conditions right now .... check out the blog to see where we are!

Cheers,

Grannypoppy aka Dave's Mum