Sunday, April 13, 2008

Garden Adventure Part 2

I never left our little quarter-acre to find these treasures today.

A lichen community.

My plant guide is just not detailed enough in the lichen department. My best guesses are grey-eyed rosette (Physcia aipolia) for the grey one, powdered orange (Xanthoria fallax) for the orange one and abraded brown (Melanelia subaurifera) for the brown one. I'd be shocked if I was right though.

Oregon grape (Mahonia aquifolium) flower buds.

Mosses (if I attempt to id them, this blog will never get posted)

Spreading dogbane shoot (Apocynum androsaemifolium)

Compost worm (Wormus compostus)

Cloche greens! This is a zesty mesclun mix from my friend Patrick at Stellar Seeds.

Abandoned wasp hive

Lupine leaf

Hens and chicks

A pacific bleeding heart leaf that was buried under leaves.

Blue hyacinth


Fire moss (Ceratodon purpureus)

The two buckets of garbage I picked up on our corner lot. Spot the intact whiskey glass (score!).

Old can with ant nest inside.

Curious ant. The white things in the top right are grubs.

No comments: