Saturday, August 17, 2013

Botany BC

Botany BC was held in Revelstoke this year, so I finally got to attend. This was  a seriously fun group of people to totally nerd out with. Large hats are mandatory.

Canby's lovage (Ligusticum canbyi)

 Fairy puke lichen (Icmadophila ericitorum).
Not only does this lichen have a super common name, it also seems to parasitize the bryophytes it grows on or near.

Epilobium hybrid.
This plant was the end destination of our hike in Glacier National Park. And here I can't even remember its full name. I was too busy checking out the lichens - is my excuse.

A fun Cladonia spp. with teeny-tiny cups growing out of just-plain-tiny cups.

A Huperzia species. Closely related to the club mosses (Lycopodium spp.) but these guys have their pollen sacs between their leaves (the yellow sacs visible in this image), rather than in a cone-like structure at the tip of a shoot. I learned so much at Botany BC.

My guess is that this is green paw (Nephroma arcticum), but I couldn't confirm it as there were no apothecia (fruiting bodies). The apothecia are found on the under the tips of the 'leaves' and are 1-3cm across. Hope I get to see such large apothecia sometime soon.

No comments: