Saturday, September 20, 2008

Garden Critters

I fianally took advantage of all the fall sunshine we've been having and headed out to the garden with my camera. I discovered lots of cool bugs about.

Pollen-covered bee

busy trio

funky fly on a mustard flower

Gross aphids that took over my brussel sprouts : (

I harvested our hops today. There were quite a few lady beetles hanging out on the flowers.


And a big spider!

Female cross spider (Araneus diadematus) - apparently the males are a lot smaller.

And yet another funky insect in the hops.

Eating a green alien aphid.

This guy got so excited about eating aphids that he had to stick his bum in the air.
Hmmm, lady beetles, spiders, funky-orange-aphid-eaters... there might be some bug-damage on my hops....

Arse! And the bugs seemed to be associated with some black mold too. Luckily I still got two window screen trays of our own hops and a couple of trays of Steve-and-Catherine hops.

Then I moved onto the wood shed where a wood-stacking critter had done some work.

Funky four-limbed wood-stacker
(I finally got the sweaty armpit shot that I wanted to get here.)

3 comments:

Albinoblackbear said...

I like the one of the lady bugs bum.

You should send it to cute overload.

:)

I wonder if they think bugs are cute too?

curmudgeonlybumbly said...

Amazing pictures yet again.

Your "funky insect" is actually a lady beetle larva. munch munch.

I can't identify your adult without counting the spots. Lady beetle identification guide

Nature Nerd said...

Lady beetle larva - so cool! Thanks for the ID Curmudgeon. I tried identifying the lady beetle too, but had no luck. Too much laziness was the problem I think.