Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Flower Touque

Knitting season is here! Here is the flower touque pattern I promised to post (along with some dorky pictures of me sporting the touque).

Peace out knitters!

Flower Touque

This pattern is adapted from this cool wave touque I found on knitty.com.

Materials:
3.25mm circular needles
3.25mm double-point needles to finish top

Lopi Light wool - 1 ball for the main colour (brown) and less for the flowers.

With main colour, CO 88 sts. Place marker and join in a round, being careful not to twist.

Knit 5 rounds ribbing (K2, P2)
Knit 4 rounds
Work 20 rounds of Flower Chart (make 4 flowers, not 2).*

* Note: Carrying the yarn over was a bit of a nightmare. If you make all the flower petals the same colour and the centres the same colour then I think this would be a lot easier. I'd recommend the latter if you haven't knitted a pattern before.

Click on the image to enlarge.

When you're done the pattern, knit 8 rounds with main colour, or more if you want a deeper touque.

Shape Crown

Note: Switch to double-point needles when necessary.
Round 1: [K13, k2tog] twice, k27, k2tog, k13, k2tog, k14. 84 sts.
Round 2: [K12, k2tog] 6 times. 78 sts.
Round 3: [K11, k2tog] 6 times. 72 sts.
Round 4: [K10, k2tog] 6 times. 66 sts.
Round 5: [K9, k2tog] 6 times. 60 sts.
Round 6: [K8, k2tog] 6 times. 54 sts.
Round 7: [K7, k2tog] 6 times. 48 sts.
Round 8: [K6, k2tog] 6 times. 42 sts.
Round 9: [K5, k2tog] 6 times. 36 sts.
Round 10: [K4, k2tog] 6 times. 30 sts.
Round 11: [K3, k2tog] 6 times. 24 sts.
Round 12: [k2tog] 12 times. 12 sts.

Note: I altered the crown part of the pattern slightly and I can't remember if this pattern is adjusted or not.

Break yarn, draw through remaining stitches and pull tight.

Finishing
I recommend sewing in a thin fleece liner. It reduces forehead itch, covers up messy yarn carry-overs, prevents touque-stretch and helps block out the wind. You'll need a piece of fleece that is about 9cm wide by 40cm long.

Hope this makes sense - talk to me at knitting night if you needs some tips!

Happy Knitting!


2 comments:

Albinoblackbear said...

I recommend you post more hilarious photos of you in touqes! I totally giggled in the library. Those are great. I love your blog. Thanks for the 'witty' moniker not sure if it is deserved. Miss you!

simmers said...

Hey! You're putting knitting in a language that I can understand. "Graphing with needles."