Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chroma Baby Quilt

 I decided to learn how to crochet to keep me busy during my second pregnancy. I thought I might make a few hats or something, but then I spotted this quilt and couldn't get it out of my head.
Luckily we live in an age where you can learn just about everything thanks to the internet. I learned the basic stitches here then tried to follow a pattern to make a granny square. This totally failed, but luckily I found a great granny square video here. Then I used a combination of The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady and this Klimtchen pattern from Ravelry to piece it all together.

 Piles of squares.

 Laying it all out into three panels.


I used Chroma worsted weight yarn from Knit Picks. I wasn't interested in switching yarns like in the original pattern to make the stripes and I love working with yarn that changes colour. I'm guessing I used about 6-7 balls of yarn and the blanket measures about 95 by 110cm - pretty big for a baby blanket. It's got a good weight to it and I'd be tempted to use the fingering wool if I were to do it again, partly because that would reduce to price of the yarn by about half.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Verena, This is beautiful! Proof that pregnancy is a highly creative time (not apparent on my end, ha). xo Anne