Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lichens, Mosses and Stumps.

Pixie cup lichens (Cladonias) growing out of a pine cone.

I am currently living in a quiet corner of Scottish woodlands at the foot of the Cairngorm Mountains. I've been spending my days looking at mosses and lichens growing on stumps as part of my project for my MSc.

One of my stumps.

A particularly licheny stump.

Fly on a sitka spruce shoot.

Wood sorrel (Oxalis acetosella)

Chickweed-wintergreen: neither a chickweed, nor a wintergreen - which is why Latin names come in handy: Trientalis europaea.

Cool beetle crusing around the forest floor.

And I am officially updated on my blogging! Phew!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow, nice update! A real visual extravaganza.

Anonymous said...

Verena, You are living large, nice one! So great to live vicariously through all of your excellent adventures. Congrats on the half-marathon. xo A