Thursday, September 17, 2009

My bike commute home

Edinburgh has turned it's old railways into bike paths throughout the city and they make for some sweet commuting. Here's a little sample of my current commute. It changes as of tomorrow when we move into our new flat. Luckily the new flat is also near a an old railway turned bike path.

Community gardens

Mallard on the Water of Leith.

Rose

The Water of Leith - a slow-moving river.

Gull and Cormorant

Stairs on a bike path, hmmm. Luckily they are no obstacle for "The Hurricane" - my amazing townie with front shocks. I was very pleased to discover I could actually go up, as well as down, the stairs.

Stinging nettle. I think taking this route in the spring wearing shorts could be tortuous.

The Hurricane, keen and ready to take on the dirt path.

Graveyard

View of Arthur's Seat

The one nasty bit of road I need to negotiate. Luckily this section is only about 500 metres long and comes with a handy sidewalk.

The Hurricane enjoying some beach time.

Oystercatcher

The Firth of Forth -
a lovely place to start and end the day's commute.

3 comments:

simmers said...

I swear that I can see a glint from Excalibur under that mallard...I'm bringing my scuba kit when I visit.

Nature Nerd said...

I like the sound of "when" you visit, not if! The mountain biking here is pretty darn fun...

grannypoppy said...

I guess I just missed you ... I returned from Edinburgh on Aug. 28.

I'll be following your exploits with added interest now that you are in my "home" land.

Cheers,

Lorraine aka grannypoppy