Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Another dead thing

Just in time for Hallowe'en .... I found this guy on Victoria Drive on my way home from school today (thank god the cat didn't kill him).

Based on my description over the phone, local bat nerd Mandy thinks it's a little brown bat. Update: after actually seeing the bat and pulling out her calipers and bat guide, Mandy decided it was a Myotis californicus rather than a Myotis lucifugus.

Back of wing

Front of wing with thumb at top. Are they called thumbs on bats?

Oh-so-cute bat paw.

I pinned him out and passed him onto my friend Rory who's attempting to turn his whole class into nature nerds. I figure this'll be a good Hallowe'en treat for the kiddies. The bat will be coming into a grade 7 class with me on Thursday too, so long as he doesn't start to stink too much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm starting to notice a creepy 'dead thing' theme here.....~a

Anonymous said...

ooo, i want to measure his little forearms...fun, as well as being useful in checking his (her?)identity

Nature Nerd said...

Oooh, oooh, ooh, how do you check if it's a boy or girl? Is that Mandy?

Albinoblackbear said...

Who knew your innocent little blog was going to turn into an animal snuff site??!!

That's it, I am going to start posting autopsy photos on my blog....hahaah

:)

I love the degree of nerdery in all our friends....

Ryan said...

No kidding! What's next, I can hardly wait. Is James *really* in Calgary? Or is he being embalmed in the root cellar?

Anonymous said...

hahha Ryan you jackass.